Applying for Membership
Free one month trial membership: Not sure if you want to join without trying a few activities first? If you have never been a member you can join for a one month trial membership at no fee to see what the club has to offer (excludes multi-day trip participation). Just follow the Regular Membership joining procedure below and click the “Free Trial” button near the bottom of the personal information web page. If after the trial you then decide to join, you just have to submit your $25 fee.
Renewals: if you were a member or free trial member any time in the past 5 years and are looking to rejoin, please click here.
Membership years run from December 1st to November 30 (joining after August 31 will be valid through the following membership year).
We designed the application to be thorough, and hope that it helps in preparing you for our activities and in protecting you from physical or financial harm. There are two documents you will need to read: the Outdoor Activities Guide, and the Membership Application form. You can read these documents online, and print out a copy of the form. Copies of these documents are also available at Wednesday meetings, but you will need to take them home to read and complete. This gives you the opportunity to consult legal advice about the waiver, if you so choose.
The Outdoor Activities Guide was written by club members in plain and simple language. Many applicants are new to the outdoors, and we wish to prepare them by describing in detail our activities, and the risks and hazards associated with the activities. We also want applicants to be knowledgeable of our risk management policies, our trip rating system, and the responsibilities of participants and Coordinators. Being knowledgeable of these topics is important for you, and for the rest of the membership.
The Membership Application form has an Applicant's Information section, a Member's Agreement section, and a liability waiver section. The Member's Agreement has terms of membership that the club expects from its members. The liability waiver section was written with legal advice, and is more formal in nature.
(Including Membership Application Form)By completing the Membership Application form you are applying to be a member of the Rocky Mountain Ramblers Association (the "RMRA") and in so doing, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of membership set out in the form. By issuing you a Membership Card the RMRA is accepting your application. Your application is the "offer" and the Membership Card constitutes the RMRA’s "acceptance" of your offer and, as a result, there is a contractual relationship between you and the RMRA.
Carefully read the following documents. Paper copies are available at meetings;
or you can read them here online; or you can print and read the PDF online versions.
When you sign the Membership Application form you acknowledge having read them:
Outdoor Activities Guide
(PDF version for
printing - 2 Mb)
- Release of Liability, Waiver of All Possible Claims and Assumption of Risk
The content of the Outdoor Activities Guide forms part of the contract that is entered into between you and the RMRA when your Membership Application form is accepted and a Membership Card issued.
- Outdoor Activities Guide (PDF version for printing - 2 Mb)
- Prospective members planning to go on activities in avalanche terrain, please read about avalanche course and refresher requirements here.
- Fill in and then submit a copy of the Membership Application Form. Forms are
available at meetings if you want to manually fill in a form and do not have access to a printer. Note: The pdf form may be electronically
signed if you have a recent version of Adobe Acrobat (see here)
and submitted without need of a printer.
- Have you read the Outdoor Activities Guide?
(Membership application form: Click this button to fill
Note: If you cannot read the printable (PDF) form, see Adobe Reader Download - free software to allow reading of PDF forms.
- Have you read the Outdoor Activities Guide? (Membership application form: Click this button to fill in form...)
- Complete the Membership Application form. Your application
will not be accepted:
- if all the form is not fully completed;
- if your information on a manually completed form is not legible;
- if there are any alterations or deletions; or
- if you do not initial and sign the form.
Details of Applicant's InformationAll information supplied by members is stored in an encrypted password protected database. Only members can gain access to this information by logging on to the password protected Members' area. Here, members can change their own personal information, including their privacy preferences (see below). Other members can view this information, but only according to the privacy settings.
Check one category of membership.
- Name, Address, Primary Phone, Email address and Emergency Contact (Name and Phone)
This information is required for all applicants.
- Website - Secure Members' Area
- Regular members have access to your name, and optionally to your address, email address
and phone numbers as you prefer. Regular members do not have access to your Emergency Contact info.
These privacy preferences can be adjusted by you at any time on the Members area;
- Trip Coordinators additionally have access to your primary phone number and
Emergency Contact information regardless of your privacy preferences;
- Members of the Executive and Membership Representatives have access to all your information for Association purposes.
- Regular members have access to your name, and optionally to your address, email address and phone numbers as you prefer. Regular members do not have access to your Emergency Contact info. These privacy preferences can be adjusted by you at any time on the Members area;
- Website - Public Area
You may be mentioned in trip reports that are made available for the public to view on the Public area of this website. If you are mentioned, we strive to only show your first name on the Public area.
Club policy is that other personal information such as your address, phone numbers, or email address will NOT be published in the Public area without your express permission.
Details of Release of Liability, Waiver of All Possible Claims and Assumption of RiskAll applicants must initial where indicated as having read the Outdoor Activities Guide with particular note of Chapter 1: Members Agreement Terms and Chapter 2: Participants Responsibilities. Then sign the form.
- Deliver the completed form along with payment for the membership
fee of $25.00. (There is no fee for Trial Membership). Email submissions and Interac e-transfers of fees are sent to:
For Interac e-transfer of the fee from your on-line banking; please remember to
send a separate email with the answer to the e-transfer security question.
If signing and submitting electronically, add your initial and signature using the Fill & Sign function in recent versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader
(If unfamiliar with how to do this, click here); or
- If printing and signing manually, take a scan, or a clear and legible photo, of your completed application, and email to the above address.
You can send your fee using Interac e-transfer from your on-line banking to the
same email address, as well as the separate email with the answer to the e-transfer security question; or
- Send a paper form and fee by postal mail to the RMRA;
Rocky Mountain Ramblers Association
PO Box 75044 Cambrian
Calgary, AB T2K 6J8
- in person to an Membership Representative at a meeting.
- If signing and submitting electronically, add your initial and signature using the Fill & Sign function in recent versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader (If unfamiliar with how to do this, click here); or
- You will receive your Membership Card by email when your application has been accepted.
You do not have to show your Membership Card in order to participate in club activities.
When participating on club trips you will have to sign the trip sheet that confirms
you have signed the "Release of Liability, Waiver of All Possible Claims and Assumption
of Risk" agreement.