In order for children to participate in trips, a parent or legal guardian must sign a Release and Waiver of Liability for Minor Children, and assign members who will act as Responsible members for their children. Responsible members are solely responsible for the child's needs, welfare, and safety while participating on RMRA trips. The following are some regulations regarding participating children:
- there will be at least one Responsible member on a one for one basis for each child on a trip;
- the Responsible member should only take a child on trips that are well within the capabilities of both the child and the Responsible member;
- the Responsible member will stay with the child at all times during the activity, including transportation to and from the trailhead;
- the Responsible member must notify the Coordinator well before the day of the trip to ask whether children may participate.
The Outdoor Activities Guide was written by club members in plain and simple language. Some parents may be new to the outdoors, and we wish to inform them by describing in detail our activities, and the risks and hazards associated with the activities. We also want parents to be knowledgeable of our safety policies, our trip rating system, and the responsibilities of participants and Coordinators.
The Participation of Minor Children form has a Parent's Information section, and a liability waiver section. The liability waiver section was written with legal advice, and is more formal in nature.
- Carefully read the following documents. Paper copies are available at meetings; or you can read them here online; or you can print and read the PDF online versions. When you sign the Participation of Minor Children form you acknowledge having read them:
Outdoor Activities Guide
(PDF version for
printing - 2 Mb)
Parents who wish to read a paper copy, but are not members, should borrow one or print the PDF version.
Release of Liability, Waiver of All Possible Claims and Assumption of Risk
Part 2 of the Participation of Minor Children form, which you will print out in Step 2.
Have you read the Outdoor Activities Guide?
Note: If you cannot read the printable (PDF) form, see
Adobe Reader Download - free software to allow reading of PDF forms.
Please staple Parts 1 and 2 together.
- if both Parts are not fully completed;
- if your information is not legible;
- if there are any alterations or deletions in Part 2; or
- if you do not initial, sign, and date Parts 1 and 2.
Your witness should not be a family member, and should observe you sign and initial Parts 1 and 2.
Details of Part 1: Parent's Information
Name, Address, and Home Phone
This information is required.
A Reponsible member for your child is a member in good standing of the RMRA who is either a parent of the child, or a member who has been given responsibility for the child by a parent of the child. The Responsible member is soley responsible for the child's needs, welfare, and safety while participating in outdoor activities offered by the RMRA. There should be at least one Responsible member for each child participating in the activities.
(Note: Guest members may become Responsible members for their own children.)
Children's Names and Ages
List your children who may from time to time accompany one or more of your Responsible members while participating in RMRA activities.
Details of Part 2: Release of Liability, Waiver of All Possible Claims and Assumption of Risk
Parents must initial where indicated as having read the Outdoor Activities Guide. Then date the form and have your signature witnessed.
- in person to an Executive member at a meeting;
- by postal mail to the RMRA; or
- in person to a trip Coordinator (confirm first with the Coordinator concerned)